Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The light returns

Every year for some time (maybe twenty years or more?) my mother writes a poem and sends it to her friends as a card on the occasion of the winter solstice. For the last few years I have been involved in the design and production of the card. This year I didn't have much time between getting the poem and the end of a sale at the company that prints the cards. After playing with an initial idea about light coming through cracks in ice, I put together this image. It turned out that Moo.com no longer allows enough lines of text on the inside of their cards so I had to have the cards printed as blanks and my mother tipped in the poem which was printed separately.

The card:


And here's the poem, by Nancy Nielsen

Looking/Seeing

If I tell you
that today I look at
   grey sky
   bare clattering branches
   a scribble of crows
that is true

And if I tell you
that today I see
   crows, two by two
   buds shining with promise
   an edge of light
that too is true

And if I tell you
that I believe the edge of light

that is truest of all


Straight Bay
December 2015



To read more poems by Nancy Nielsen check out her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment