Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Fruitlands

My birthday treat yesterday was a trip to Fruitlands in Harvard, Massachusetts.http://www.fruitlands.org Fruitlands was an unsuccessful experiment in communal living initiated by Amos Alcott, Louisa May Alcott's father. In 1893 Alcott's family and eleven others moved to a 90 acre farm. The founders' philosophy was based in Transcendentalism and among other things allowed no use of animals or their products. Ultimately the colony was abandoned seven months later when the group failed to farm enough land to sustain themselves.
There is now a museum on the grounds which have been expanded to include more than two hundred acres. Only the art museum is open in the winter but at other times of year you can also visit the original farmhouse and two buildings which house collections of Shaker and North American Indian material.
The shows at the art museum were both of interest to me. Some time ago I took some fantastic courses on both traditional and contemporary basketry at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. I have had a continuing interest in working at the edge of the 'what is a basket' question. When I am sick or stuck my favourite book to grab for inspiration is the Lark collection 500 Baskets. So I was thrilled to be able to see the National Basketry Organization's biannual show All Things Considered
The show was presented beautifully in two rooms at the Fruitlands art museum. I took lots of pictures for my own use but you can see professional shots on the NBO website. The docent was very helpful and ultimately asked us to consider which basket we would like to take home. I couldn't narrow it to one so chose the first and third in the second row and first and fifth in the eleventh row. What one would you choose?
Subatomic Particle Vessel by Lanny Bergner
Subatomic Particle Vessel by Lanny Bergner
Subatomic Particle Vessel by Lanny Bergner
The adjacent room at the museum contained rarely seen works from their collection by artists from the Hudson River School of artists. I have always loved their lush romantic landscapes. When I see them now I am reminded of my two cycling trips from Buffalo to Albany. And this time I wondered if I like the work because cows figure prominently in so many of the paintings or whether my love of cows derives from their depiction in art.
Autumn Brook by William Hart
Autumn Brook by William Hart

We arrived prepared for a dog walk on the several miles of groomed trails but decided against it when the temperature dropped to near freezing with gale force winds. The museum property is beautifully located on a hill sloping to a valley and the views are spectacular. When it is warmer I will return to explore both inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment