Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

Finding Friends

About ten years ago I told my husband that I was going to see if my Pilates instructor wanted to go out for lunch with me. I had noticed through informal conversations in class that she and I seemed to have a lot in common. He was dismissive of the idea with a response along the lines of "Are you still in fourth grade, asking 'Do you want to be my friend?'". I ignored him and asked her anyway. Christine is now the person, second only to my husband, with whom I spend the most time. I still take her classes, she takes mine, we go to yoga classes together, we cycle at home and on cycling vacations. We celebrate our birthdays together and my husband I have become a part of her family with regular Thanksgiving and Christmas invitations.

That experience has caused me to actively reach out to a few other people who I have met, mostly when I have been instructing and they have been learning from me. I am visiting one in Massachusetts right now. Last night Beth, her husband and her parents and I played a new card game that Christine and I learned in Ireland this summer. The game was accompanied by much laughter, quite a few gin gimlets, cheese and crackers, and shrimp. It was perfect. I am a game player so it was nice to be with a group of people who play often and well and view it as time well spent.

Today Beth and I will browse through fabric and yarn stores, not looking for anything in particular but chatting about project ideas past, present, and future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment