Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Goal setting

To some people, and to me at another time, my day would look unproductive. Sure, I cooked lunches for a week, made dinner for two nights, groomed three dogs, went to Pilates class, wrote a new indoor cycling class and did some SAQA business. But I spent hours poking about, seemingly accomplishing nothing. The dithering and wandering had a goal and by the end of the day I found what I was seeking.

I now have a two-pronged approach to my work for the next year. Two series have emerged - Uncovered and Rolling - each with defined parameters with respect to technique and subject matter. And I am committed to using those techniques in anything I produce for shows in the next twelve months. I know that I work better with fewer degrees of freedom but haven't been willing to set those limits until now. I want to explore Uncovered in a couple of small 
pieces and then make it the focus of a 12" x 12" piece I'd like to submit to the SAQA auction. The Rolling series is pure fun for me - lots of piecing and an opportunity to cover problems with paint - with a hidden agenda which appeals to me intellectually.

I often have to remind my indoor cycling students to breathe when the going gets hard. I feel like I can breathe now.


No comments:

Post a Comment