Pages

Monday, August 25, 2014

Resilient


I had a bad fall off my bike this weekend. I am bruised and battered but nothing is broken and my bike is fine as well. Here's the contusion on my upper left leg, thirty hours later.


And my right thumb, which is sprained or something.


In spite of the accident I was able to ride back to the inn where we were staying. Our afternoon and evening plans were unaffected by the incident, with the exception of the fact that I had ice (packs) with my wine while we knit that night. I also did the final stage of the Just For Fun tour yesterday.

In a strange way I am not unhappy that I fell and that it was such a dramatic event. It feels like a rehearsal for the trauma and healing that lie ahead. So far this practice session seems to be going well. Just minutes after it occurred I felt on top of things and able to deal with the discomfort and mental stress. A day later I had no sense of regret, no flashbacks and no fear of riding even though my hand was compromised. I felt resilient.

re·sil·ient

adjective \ri-ˈzil-yənt\

: able to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens
: able to return to an original shape after being pulled, stretched, pressed, bent, etc.

I think the accident will provide tangible evidence that my body, in particular, is capable of repairing itself quickly. The bruise on my leg will turn all colours and the pain will fade. My hand is already less painful while crocheting than it was a day ago. By the time my surgery date arrives I will be fine and my body will be ready to rebound again.

No comments:

Post a Comment