Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Calm

Something odd happened yesterday. I was waiting for an appointment and was crocheting on the next unfinished project. A woman who was leaving after her own appointment caught sight of what I was doing and came into the room to talk. She was interested in the garment I was making because she also crochets. Then she asked about the yarn I was using. She even fondled the work which was appropriate because it is really nice squishy yarn.

Then she took two steps back and said "Can I just say this? You are very calm."

I wasn't sure what to say so I thanked her. Her response was just to repeat her observation and then she left the building.

It was odd but it was also somehow reassuring. I feel calm although I prefer the word tranquil. It is good to get independent confirmation that I am not deluding myself or the people around me.

When I think of tranquil, I think of this

I have been toying with the idea of a daily art practice. I know several people who do it successfully but I don't think I could sustain it without guilt or stress. But I have been wondering about a way to capture, perhaps weekly, a visual representation of my physical and emotional state. The episode yesterday somehow moved me a step closer to that. With that in mind I then did what I always do - I researched calm.

And what is the most interesting thing I learned? That some people don't pronounce the L sound. Who knew? That information sent me down the rabbit hole of  discussions about the silent L in English. Pretty soon I found myself stuck at the Grammarphobia blog. Don't go there if language and its usage fascinate you. You too will get stuck. I have bookmarked the site so that I can return when I am less calm and need a diversion.


No comments:

Post a Comment