Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Good medicine

It's one week post-surgery. The booklet that they gave me on discharge says I shouldn't drive or lift anything or drink alcohol for several more weeks. It doesn't say why I should avoid any of those activities. I can think of a good reason for not lifting - it is a pretty obvious piece of advice for someone who just had a piece of flesh removed from her body. But the other restrictions? --- I don't know why I should follow that advice.

What I do know is that there is a set of activities which make me stronger and healthier. What's on that list? Eating, cooking and drinking good food and wine. Being responsible to people and groups to which I have made commitments. Teaching novices arcane material which can make a fundamental difference in their lives.

I am going to proceed based on that list. So today was devoted to several organizational phone calls, the drafting and sending of two important SAQA emails and the background work for a cycling trip to Cape Breton. Tonight I taught another two hour cycling skills clinic (off the bike!). Between those activities I made and ate a tasty dinner of herb-roasted lamb chops, risotto and stir-fried bok choy and zucchini. Dessert was strawberries with maple syrup.

Galloping is good medicine. So is the glass of wine I had with dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment